Source: money.usnews.com | Lindsay Olsen
Confidence is believing in yourself, feeling comfortable in your true-self, knowing you have worth. Exuding confidence is one step toward getting off that sticky floor and moving up the corporate ladder. Here are five ways women can exude more confidence at work.
1. Be aware of your word choice. Women tend to undermine themselves by using softer wording, such as “I think” or “maybe,” or even apologizing for interjecting. You don’t have to interrupt or be rude, but use more confident words that make a statement – not a gentle suggestion.
2. Pretend you’re confident. We don’t all feel like Oprah, even on our best days, but the rest of the office doesn’t have to know that. Realize that how you walk, shake hands and make (or avoid) eye contact each tells someone whether or not you are self-assured. So stand up tall, square those shoulders, walk with purpose and look everyone in the eye. You’ll soon find that even if you don’t feel confident at first, you will soon.
3. Dress the part. You don’t have to wear pantsuits to prove you’ve got grit. Always dress appropriately, but own your style. If you’re more bohemian than shoulder pads, you can still wear what you love and exude personality. You’ll come off more certain of yourself if you like what you wear, rather than if you dress like you think others expect you to.
4. Speak up. You were hired because of your smart ideas, so it’s time to share them! Don’t be a wallflower in meetings. Don’t over-assert yourself, either. Find the balance between holding back what you’re thinking and dominating the conversation.
5. Leverage that performance review. When it’s time to sit down with your boss and assess the past year, don’t be shy. Come armed with a list of accomplishments, as well as goals for the coming year. He’ll appreciate your forthrightness, and that bonus will be all but in the bag.
Confidence doesn’t always come naturally for us, but it still remains an important component for advancing in our professional world. With a little practice, you’ll ooze confidence from your pores!